"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."

-Ernestine Ulmer-


Sunday, December 20, 2009

French Pear and Almond Tart


recipe courtesy of Dorie Greenspan
photo courtesy of me

-Sweet Tart Dough-
1.5 cups AP flour
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick plus 1 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg yolk, beaten

In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt and pulse to combine. Scatter butter over the top, pulse until butter is cut in coarsely. Add the egg yolk, a little at a time, pulsing after each addition. Once the egg is incorporated, pulse in long, 10 second intervals until the dough forms clumps. Turn out and knead very lightly, then press into your tart pan.
To partially bake- Butter the shiny side of a sheet of aluminum foil. Press the foil tightly down onto the crust, and bake at 375º for 25 minutes. Let cool completely.

-Almond Cream-
6 tbsp room temperature butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup ground almonds (or almond flour, available in bags on the organic food aisle)
2 tsp AP flour
1 tsp cornstarch
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla

Combine the butter and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. Add almonds and pulse until well blended. Add flour and cornstarch, pulse for 8-10 seconds, then add egg. Process for 15 seconds more, until egg is combined well. Add vanilla and pulse to incorporate. Pour cream into a nonreactive bowl, cover (press it onto the top of the cream) with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

Pour the prepared almond cream into the cooled, par-baked tart shell. Smooth out.

-To Assemble-
Peel and core 3 medium Bosc pears. Slice each pear in half lengthwise (see photo) and then very thinly crosswise. Lift each sliced pear, keeping it's shape, with a spatula. Place the pears on top of the almond cream in the tart shell, top facing inwards.
Place the tart on a lined baking sheet. Bake at 350º for 50-60 minutes, until the cream puffs up around the pears. Let cool before unmolding. Serve with a dusting of confectioner's sugar.

7 comments:

  1. I have yet to get a hold of some pears, but this sounds totally wonderful and something I'd love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh it's so good Teresa, you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure I will! :) I'm a huge fan of tarts and pies.

    By the way, regarding my knitted hat: you need to take a knitting class! =) It's so much fun to knit. I keep thinking one of these days I'll sell some of my knitted stuff on Etsy, but seems like every time I make a pair of socks or a hat, it gets snatched up right away.

    Also, thanks so much for your sweet remark about my family life; it means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can knit, I can't purl, and round knitting makes me afraid. =(

    IF you ever open an etsy or ebay store, I'm so there.

    You're welcome for the comments, and totally deserving of them! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an absolute dear!! xx

    I do have an Etsy store but it only has ceramics right now... twotadpoles.etsy.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. jammi, sooooo lecker! Wird bald gemacht.

    liebe Grüße Dörte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dortie,

    Vielen Dank, ich hoffe es gefallt euch!

    (hoffe mein Deutsch ist ok)

    ReplyDelete